Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The TAIK Maze

University of Art and Design Helsinki (UIAH or TAIK in Finnish) is the largest art and design school in Scandinavia. The school is founded in 1871, but has been in its present location, the old Arabia ceramic factory building, only since 1987. The school has numerous studios from ceramics, glass blowing, fashion and industrial design, to Motion picture and Television studios. Due to mold problems, most administrative offices have moved to the newer part of the building where the library and the school cafeteria are also located. This building, which is adjacent to the current Arabia factory, also houses the iittala/Arabia factory outlet store and a furniture store.

Finding various departments appears to be easy since there is clear signage everywhere, but the path one must take in order to go from one floor to another requires more creativity! For example, the main entrance to the building takes one to the 2nd floor! To go to the office of the student union, TOKYO, which is located in the basement, one must take the stairs up! Three flights of stairs would take one to level 4! There is an elevator right in front of the staircase that would take one down to level 1. Then, one would need to find the one and only elevator down the hall that goes to level K (the basement). Now going to see Helena, the International Student Counselor, on the 3rd floor of the new building from the TOKYO office is a different story. To do this, one must first take the elevator to the 6th floor. After going through the fashion design department, the 6th floor magically becomes the 5th! The elevator on the 5th floor is the only one that can take you to the 3rd floor of the new building! I wonder sometimes whether this is purposely designed this way in order to highlight the importance usable design! After all, TAIK is one of the leading institutions in the area of usability and user-inspired design.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 4 in the morning and I am up , not because i am indulging in some sort of early bird morning ritual yoga thing before sunrise, but because my back summer door started making noise in the middle of the night and I heard things falling to the ground or being bumped into!!! This awoke me out of my sleep with my heard poundiing .. why is my back door creeking in the wind ?? basically, it means the back door had been opened !!! (by someone , the wind , an animal ??? dunno lol).

Yikes

I am not one to be scared and i am not one to go irresponsibly outside and see if someone is there either .. so, yeah , called the police to check the back yard out ! lol ..

Oddly enough after their search of the street and back yard , the police decided to knock at my door although on the phone they said they wouldn't .. i wasn 't ready for that eventuality .. so i ask as I look through the peephole, "who is there?" .. all I can see is a cute guy with blonde hair wearing a blue shirt ... lol... and I have no recollection in what language i spoke as I was half asleep anyway.. and the answer came back in English "We are the police!" .. and I thought "huh???... I live in Quebec and the police is identifying itself in English ??? who is this??"

As I said I wasn't ready to open my door cause I was dressed in what i wear to sleep,which is not much ... lol... i answered "wait a minute" ...haha... I quickly found a dress I couuld just slip on lol.. and opened the door .. they looked at me .. and had a funny smile on their face ...lol.. my eyes were half closed and I was very sleepy as I answered their questions. ... they spoke reassuringly about having looked throroughly that there was no one in the back or around the building . Obviously, had there been someone , they would of fled, at this point. lol

So, being up after hearing ba-ding-ba-dang out on the porch and now the police having left after having also done ba ding ba dang out on the back porch .. all my neighbours are now awake cause of the police with their search lights... lol

I am somewhat awake .. and thought i should look at your blog and indeed .. surprise surprise.. a new entry .. Yaay!!

such a pleasure to read .. you now study in a maze .. luv it !!

I am really sleepy now, as it is 4h15a.m. and my fingers feel very heavy and my eyes just want to close .. so , i am going back to bed .. hugz, Misha

9/25/2006 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home